- Posted by Annette Boardman
- On December 19, 2019
- 0 Comments
Hampshire County Development Authority Board Meeting Minutes Taggart Hall November 20, 2019 10:00 AM
Present: Greg Bohrer, Eileen Johnson, Robert Hott, David Mayfield, Beverly Keadle, Mark Landis, Stephanie Shoemaker, Annette Boardman
Excused: Rebecca Hott, Alison Jewell, Jason Hicks, Dan Hileman, Len McMaster, Betsy Plumer, Mark Gandolfi
Guests: Keith Mcintosh. Chris Strovel, Travis Delaplain, Aaron Cox.
The meeting was called to order by President Greg Bohrer and he announced a quorum was present. David Mayfield moved to approve the agenda as presented seconded by Mark Landis. Motion carried.
David Mayfield presented a request to authorize and sign a none-recourse note between HCDA and Bank of Romney in the approximate amount of $1.3 Million with zero closing cost for the Hampshire HS Stadium Renovation project. A discussion took place regarding the HCDA liability and the effects of its Net worth position. Commissioner Hott recommended a denial of the request due to potential liability to HCDA and the project does not necessarily go with the mission of the HCDA. President Bohrer concurred with the Board having a vote later in this meeting.
Secretary’s Report –Meeting minutes for HCDA regular Board Meeting on 10/23/19 were presented. Beverly Keadle made a motion to approve the meeting minutes as presented and was seconded by Robert Hott. Motion Carried.
Treasurer’s Report – The financial reports for October 2019 were presented and reviewed by the Board. Director Johnson highlighted the reimbursement from Flower’s Bakery for concrete dock work completed. David Mayfield made a motion to approve the financial reports as presented and Robert Hott Seconded. Motion Carried.
Marketing Committee Report – Marketing Committee did not meet. Scheduled to Meet Dec. 9th
Personnel Committee Report – Personnel Committee did not meet.
President’s Report- President Bohrer stated that the EDA grant for $1,232,000 was awarded to The Town of Capon Bridge for the Sewer Expansion Project and HCDA was recognized by the State Economic Development Office for all the work that has been put into this project.
- IAR project update – Rob Milne, PE Thrasher. In the Absence of Mr. Milne, Director Johnson gave an update. The Industrial Access Road Design is 60% Complete. The Geo Technical has been scheduled and the surveyors will be on site this week. Once that is completed, the revised lot will be defined. A question was addressed about laying conduit during the road construction. This will be addressed with Thrasher along with grading for future development to include expenses for laying conduit. Utility work will also have to be done within this project. Once the design is complete these items will be addressed.
- Romney Business Park – Lot #1 – LOMR project – Director Johnson gave an update. A copy of the draft of the LOMR was given to Director Johnson for review. This will be submitted to FEMA. HCDA will go before The Town of Romney to ask permission to begin the project. The application fee is approximately $500 and will be reimbursed to Thrasher who is submitting the application on behalf of the Development Authority. A revised study will also go along with the application. Thrasher stated that the piece that needs modified is small enough that they can likely locate qualified fill within the RBP.
Executive Director’s Activity Report & Update: Director Johnson submitted her activity report outline to the Board for review with the following highlights given. The focus in October was Business Retention visits tied to the LED Grant application which will be submitted next week ahead of the deadline of December 1st. Businesses are showing a year to year growth. Director Johnson reported that SJ Morse will extend their due diligence period for expansion to the Capon Bridge Tech Park. This will not have a negative effect on projects associated with the expansion. The WV Department of health and Human Resources – Office of Medical Cannabis announced they will open the application period on December 18th for medical cannabis licensing and permitting. Director Johnson invited board members to attend prospective alternative energy business presentation at 1:00 PM regarding development of a Solar Farm in Hampshire County. The SBA is looking to develop their programs to have information available at local libraries with the expectation is to give better access to resources for potential new businesses. With no questions or further discussion, President Bohrer moved to discuss Old Business items.
- HCDA 549 Center Avenue (former hospital) property. Estimates were received from different roofing companies for repair to the roof. One estimate for a temporary fix for 50K with no guarantee of future leaks. Another company estimated 3-4k to do a temporary repair. An Estimated cost to replace the roof is estimated 400K. Questions and discussions took place to decide the best approach and best use of investment dollars and if demolition should be considered. It is difficult to find an investor to repurpose the property with the needed repair expenses. President Bohrer suggested pursuing the quotes for demolition and repurpose the property. Director Johnson will submit an RFP for demolition and bring estimates to the next board meeting with redevelopment options.
Executive Session – No Executive Session was conducted at this time.
- Resolution regarding the WV Development Office 2020 Local Economic Development Grant. Dave Mayfield motioned to accept the Resolution as presented and seconded by. Mark Landis. Motion Carried. Resolution signed.
- Motion regarding the HCDA pending audit – The audit committee met and scored audit proposals. They chose Ferrar & Associates. The score sheets and final application will be submitted to the state auditor’s office for approval. A motion by Mark Landis to accept the Auditor and seconded by Robert Hott. Motion Carried.
- Motion regarding HHS Rannells Field upgrade project. Motion was made by Robert Hott to decline the opportunity of the HCDA to sign the non-recourse loan and was seconded by Beverly Keadle. David Mayfield abstained from voting. Motion Carried.
Communications / Public Comment
- 2020 meetings for the HC Infrastructure Committee: 01/08, 04/01, 07,01 & 10/07
- HCDA Board Annual Meeting is December 18th at 11:00 AM at Main Street Grill
Adjournment: With no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 11:15 AM.