- Posted by Annette Boardman
- On March 19, 2020
- 0 Comments
Hampshire County Development Authority
Regular Session Board Meeting Minutes
February 19, 2020 – 10:00 AM – Taggart Hall
Present: Greg Bohrer, Robert Hott, Eileen Johnson, David Mayfield, Mark Gandolfi, Beverly Keadle, Jason Hicks, Len McMaster, Stephanie Shoemaker, Alison Jewell, Annette Boardman
Excused: Dan Hileman, Mark Landis, Rebecca Hott
Guests: Ed Morgan – V.P. Board of Education, Misty Stambler- Hampshire County Pathways, Hoy Shingleton, Aaron Cox, Travis Delaplain
The meeting was called to order by President Greg Bohrer and he announced a quorum was present. Len McMaster moved to approve the agenda as presented seconded by David Mayfield. Motion carried.
A presentation was given by Misty Stambler with Pathways. Pathways is expanding and seeking space for a facility to have office space that would employ 3 to 5 new employees with future goals of adding 10 additional employees. This would be funded by expansion grants and other grant resources. They need approximately 5,000 Sq. Ft of space. Unit B and C at the Romney Business Park have been identified by Pathways as a good space for their expansion needs.
Jeffrey Pancione, Superintendent of Hampshire County Schools gave an update to the Hampshire County Schools project. The Hampshire County School Board approved the 26 Million plus $200,000 Dollar Project to span over 10.5 Years. SBA will contribute approximately 50% of the funding. The approval included the 15-acre purchase of land adjacent to Augusta Elementary. The Hampshire County Development Authority’s property (previously known as Hampshire Memorial Hospital) has been identified as Site One for a new Elementary School. The School Board is scheduled to meet on March 2nd and will submit a letter of Intent to the Hampshire County Development Authority. Action Item: Hoy Shingleton, Legal Counsel for Development Authority, to verify details with the Bond Council and draft a Memorandum of Understanding Document for The Hampshire County School Board and Hampshire County Development Authority to sign. A draft of the letter will be presented to the HCDA Board at the March Meeting. The Bond Levy will be on the May Election Ballot.
Secretary’s Report –Meeting minutes for the HCDA regular Board Meeting on 1/15/20 were presented. David Mayfield made a motion to approve the meeting minutes as presented and was seconded by Jason Hicks. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – The financial reports for January 2020 were presented and reviewed by the Board. David Mayfield made a motion to approve the financial reports as presented and Robert Hott seconded. Motion Carried.
Marketing Committee Report – Eileen Johnson gave a brief update. The marketing and advertising budget for this fiscal year is approximately $3,900 and will be allocated toward website upgrades. A preliminary project conference call is scheduled for March 4th.
Personnel Committee Report – Personnel Committee met and will convene again in April.
President’s Report- No Report at this time.
IAR project update – Department of Highway response received and revised plans submitted to DOH were submitted on 2/17/20 and await final comments. Once comments are received will be submitted to the IAR project committee for review. No delays are expected and project is on track.
Romney Business Park – Lot #1 – LOMR project – Thrasher Engineering has spoken with City Flood Plain Manager and awaiting final approval. Once approval is received the application will be submitted to the State.
Executive Director’s Activity Report & Update: Director Johnson submitted her activity report outline to the Board for review with the following highlights: The Small Business Resource Center Project is underway. The committee continues to meet and is working with the SBA. A list of Business Contacts has been finalized and a survey has been created to identify current business needs and will be sent to Business Contacts. The goal is to launch the program in May. The Resource Centers will be located at the Romney and Capon Bridge Libraries. HCDA has executed two Purchase agreements with Curative Growth, Inc. to be submitted with their state medical cannabis permit applications that include property purchase locations in the Romney Business Park and the Capon Bridge Tech Park.
Talks continue with the Potomac Eagle about future goals to expand to the Romney Business Park. They will present at a future Board meeting their business plan for expansion. Johnson updated the Board on the recent State Legislature passing of the Opportunity Zone incentives to include new businesses that locate into an Opportunity Zone will allow employees to be exempt from personal income tax for 10 years and company exemption from corporate state income tax.
The Capon Bridge Sewer Project update: The CB Utility Department engaged discussion with Capon Bridge Town Council regarding consideration of transferring utilities to CB once the Project is complete.
- HCDA 549 Center Avenue (former hospital) property. An RFP for demolition of the property has been drafted, however in reference of Hampshire County School Initiative project, the demolition and RFP has been tabled until project has a confirmed timeline pending the Bond approval in the May Election. President Bohrer recommended to draft notification letters to tenants in lieu of current lease expiration in October of 2020. Legal Council to draft letters to tenants.
No Executive Session was conducted at this time.
- Resolution – Execution of HCDA Purchase Agreement for Curative Growth, Inc. A motion to pass the Resolution was made by Robert Hott and seconded by Lynn McMaster. Motion Carried and Resolution signed.
- Resolution – USDA Rural Business Development Grant – fiber to Romney Business Park. A motion to pass the Resolution was made by David Mayfield and seconded by Jason Hicks. Motion Carried and Resolution signed.
- Resolution – Opportunity Appalachia. A motion to pass the Resolution was made by David Mayfield and seconded by Jason Hicks. Motion Carried and Resolution signed.
- Resolution – Capon Bridge Tech Park master site concept plan. A motion to pass the Resolution was made by Robert Hott and seconded by David Mayfield. Motion Carried and Resolution signed.
- Hospital Demolition- RFP approval – next steps –
This has been tabled until timeline of Hampshire County School Project can be determined
- BOE-HCDA property exchange – next steps. Legal Council to draft a Memorandum of Understanding for HCDA and The Hampshire County School Board of Education to sign.
Communications / Public Comment
- 2020 meetings for the HC Infrastructure Committee: 04/01, 07,01 & 10/07 – 10:00 AM at the Augusta Health Department
- The next HCDA Board Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 18th at 10:00 AM in Taggart Hall
Adjournment: With no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 11:40 AM