Do I Qualify?


In order to be eligible for the HUBZone program a company must first be registered to do business with the Federal Government and must meet the minimum eligibility requirements identified below:


1. The firm must be a small business per SBA size standards

SBA’s size standards define whether a business entity is small and, thus, eligible for Government programs and preferences reserved for “small business” concerns. Size standards have been established for types of economic activity, or industry, generally under the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS). The concern, with its affiliates, must meet the size standard corresponding to its primary industry classification as defined in part (CFR 121)


2. The firm must be at least 51% directly owned and controlled by citizens of the United States

or wholly owned or owned in part by one or more Indian Tribal Governments, Alaskan Native Corporation (ANC), Community Development Corporation (CDC) or Small Agricultural Cooperative.


3. The firm’s principal office must be located in a designated HUBZone area

Principal office means the location where the greatest number of the concern’s employees at any one location perform their work. However, for those concerns whose “primary industry” (see 13 CFR 121.107) is service or construction (see 13 CFR 121.201), the determination of principal office excludes the concern’s employees who perform the majority of their work at job-site locations to fulfill specific contract obligations. ( CFR 126.103)


4. At least 35% of the firm’s employees must reside in a designated HUBZone area.

Employee means all individuals employed on a full-time, part-time, or other basis, so long as that individual works a minimum of 40 hours per month. This includes employees obtained from a temporary employee agency, leasing concern, or through a union agreement or co-employed pursuant to a professional employer organization agreement. SBA will consider the totality of the circumstances, including criteria used by the IRS for Federal income tax purposes and those set forth in SBA’s Size Policy Statement No. 1, in determining whether individuals are employees of a concern. Volunteers (i.e., individuals who receive deferred compensation or no compensation, including no in-kind compensation, for work performed) are not considered employees. However, if an individual has an ownership interest in and works for the HUBZone SBC a minimum of 40 hours per month, that owner is considered an employee regardless of whether or not the individual receives compensation. (  CFR 126.103)

Reside means to live in a primary residence at a place for at least 180 days, or as a currently registered voter, and with intent to live there indefinitely. ( 126.103)


Training Webinar

Eligibility Requirements: